This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive compensation if you click one of the links contained. Please read our full disclosure for more details.
It’s July! Frugal Family Food is sharing a month of summertime sweet treats, and we are starting off with a recipe that is perfect for your 4th of July gatherings, AND it is gluten free!
When my son needed to be gluten-free, it was such a challenge finding baked goods that tasted delicious. This recipe hits the mark. It has everything we all love- chocolate and sweetness. Plus, it is topped with whipped cream, and blueberries. You can’t lose!
Here’s a bonus tip for making GF recipes that don’t taste grainy- add pumpkin or applesauce in place of half the shortening or oil. It does wonders. But if you don’t have it, it tastes pretty awesome anyway 🙂
Your kids will enjoy making this recipe with you, too. My daughter whipped up a batch a couple of years ago and shared it on our YouTube channel. You can watch her make it here.
Give this recipe a try, and come back tomorrow for another great summertime treat!
Gluten Free Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 15 drops red food coloring or more to make desired red color
- 2 1/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. Put the cocoa powder and food coloring in a bowl, whisk to combine. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, put in the flour and salt, whisk to combine.
4. Place shortening in a mixing bowl and beat for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of the bowl when finished to put the beaten shortening in the center.
5. Turn mixer on after scraping sides and add sugar to shortening. Then, add vanilla and eggs. Mix for 2 minutes or until well combined.
6. With mixer on slow speed, add cocoa mixture to shortening mixture. Mix until combined.
7. Whisk water and sour cream together.
8. With mixer on slow speed, alternate adding sour cream mixture and flour mixture a little at a time.
9. In a separate bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar (carefully). Add mixture to mixer and beat until incorporated.
10. Grease and flour your muffin pan (you can also use paper liners if you choose).
11. Add mix to muffin pan, filling about halfway- they will rise.
12. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool before frosting.
Gluten Free Red Velvet Cupcakes are perfect for the 4th of July! Top with whipped cream and blueberries to make the perfect festive touch!
Amanda is a wife, mom, and all around frugal lady. She shares her family and faith on The Fundamental Home and Fundamental Faith YouTube channels. She also blogs at thefundamentalhome.com There, you can find her blog series, “How I Feed My Family of 5 for $100 Every Month.” Amanda is co-creator of Frugal Family Food and, as such, is dedicated to helping families eat well on a budget.
Subscribe to the Frugal Family Food Newsletter!
It just takes a moment to get help and encouragement from Frugal Family Food sent straight to your inbox! We have all of the tips, tricks, and tools you need to help your family eat well on a budget. Subscribe now!o get our latest content by email.